Thursday, September 27, 2007

Simple Gestures



Friends,

I wanted to share a technique that I believe has sent shock waves through my organization. I hand write notes. Birthdays, anniversaries, babies, sympathies, and surgeries. Thank you notes for great meetings, major milestones, and special events.

The feedback has been encouraging. One employee commented that they had been working for 20 years and never received a hand-written note. Another stopped by today to tell me how appreciative he was for the note I had sent about his sick family member.

Marketing coach John Jantsch (Duct Tape Marketing) suggests these benefits from hand-written notes (albeit from a marketing perspective):

- Stand out from the crowd (nobody does this anymore and that's what makes it so powerful).
- Say, I care enough to take the time to do this.
- Can't help but write something that is personal in nature (computers stink at that).
- Make a connection with another form of communication (email, phone, web site, blog, note...you need them all).
- Have the ability to make the person who receives the note feel special.
- Will begin to receive more referrals (your clients will tell people about your unique habit).


I know how much it has meant to me to receive hand-written notes from some of my mentors. I am simply returning the favor. And for the great men and women with whom I work, it is the least I can do. I keep extra note cards in my desk drawer and more in my backpack.

And if it helps them understand how much I am willing to invest in their success, then these little notes are certainly worth the 60 seconds they take to write them. I think they are making a difference with my team. That makes it Leader Business!

No comments: